- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 jar (10 ounces) lemon curd
- MERINGUE TOPPING:
- 4 large egg whites, room temperature
- 3/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Sift 1/2 cup sugar and flour together twice; set aside.
- Add cream of tartar, vanilla and salt to egg whites; beat on medium speed until foamy. Gradually beat in remaining sugar, 2 tablespoons at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Gradually fold in flour mixture, about 1/2 cup at a time.
- Gently spoon batter into an ungreased 10-in. tube pan. Cut through batter with a knife to remove air pockets. Bake on lowest oven rack at 350° until golden brown and entire top appears dry, 35-40 minutes. Immediately invert pan; cool completely, about 1 hour.
- Run a knife around side and center tube of pan. Remove cake; split into two horizontal layers. Place cake bottom on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Spread with lemon curd; replace cake top.
- For meringue, in a small bowl, beat egg whites and cream of tartar on medium until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and sugar is dissolved. Spread over top and sides of cake.
- Bake at 350° until golden brown, 15-18 minutes. Transfer to a serving plate. Refrigerate leftovers.